What Unity Teaches
We honor all paths that lead to enlightenment
The 5 Basic Principles
- There is only one presence and one power, ”God, Absolute Good.
- The Divinity of God is within us, and we are all inherently good. We are individualized expressions of God. Our divine potential and spiritual essence have been called by many names including the Christ, Buddha-nature, the Atman, Ruach, the Great Spirit, Higher Power, and Higher Self.
- Life is consciousness We create our experiences by our thought, words, feelings, and beliefs.
- We believe in the power of affirmative prayer and meditation.
- We must put spiritual truth into practice in order to change our lives.
Spiritual seekers often say that finding Unity is like coming home. Unity is an open-minded, accepting spiritual community that honors all paths to God and helps people discover and live their spiritual potential and purpose.
Unity emphasizes the practical, everyday application of spiritual principles to help people live more abundant and meaningful lives.
A positive alternative to negative religion, Unity seeks to apply the teachings of Jesus as well as other spiritual masters. Unity affirms the power of prayer and meditation to help people experience a stronger connection with God every day.
Some Key Concepts
We see Jesus as a Master Teacher of Universal Truths, and as our Way-Shower.
We believe that Jesus expressed his Divine Potential and sought to show humanity how to express ours as well. In Unity, we use the term Christ to mean the Divinity within all of humanity. Jesus is the great example of Christ Consciousness in expression. The Christ is that part of God that is in every person. There is a spark of Divinity within all people, just as there was in Jesus.
Unity co-founders Charles and Myrtle Fillmore studied the Bible as history and allegory and interpreted it as a metaphysical representation of humanity’s evolutionary journey toward spiritual awakening.
Unity recognizes that the Bible is a complex collection of writings compiled over many centuries. We honor the writings as reflecting the understanding and inspiration of the writers at the time they were written. The Bible continues to be a valuable resource for us.
The Nature of Humankind
Our essential nature is divine, and therefore, inherently good. We are each an individual expression in the allness of God. Our purpose is to express our divine potential the same way that Jesus and other divine masters realized and demonstrated it in their lives. The more we awaken to our divine nature, the more fully God expresses in and through our lives.
Heaven and Hell
We believe that Heave and Hell are not places, but states of consciousness, and that we create our own experiences of Heaven and Hell in the here and now.
The following are some great books to get started in knowing more about Unity (They can be ordered from Amazon.com):
- The Five Key Principles, by Ellen Dabenport
- Keys to the Kingdom: Five Fundamentals of Truth
- Discover the Power Within You, by Eric Butterworth
- Lessons of Truth, by H. Emilie Cady
- The Story of Unity, by James Dillet Freeman
- Birthing a Greater Reality, by Robert Brumet